How are you doing with your New Year’s resolutions so far? Have you hit the gym every day? Perhaps you’re in the middle of booking that family vacation that’s way overdue. Whatever your goals may be, we want to equip you to build upon your faith at work journey as well. Here are a few examples of how you can make 2015 a great year to close the gap between your faith and work.
- Pray daily for your team. That’s right, your whole team! Even your boss that makes you feel undervalued or that client that seems impossible to please. Pray for the things that burden them whether it be personal or professional. You can even pray that the Lord work in their lives so that they can truly find joy in all aspects of work.
- Be a servant leader. In other words, “Ask not what your team can do for you, but what you can do for your team.” Even the smallest acts of kindness matter to those around you such cleaning the office fridge, offering to help with a difficult task or verbally acknowledging a person’s talent among other co-workers. Those things that seem like minor actions make a huge difference in workplace culture.
- Model positive change in the workplace. Nix negative gossip with positive stories about other team members and share stories of team accomplishments that make others feel proud of where they work. Take the high road when it comes to difficult situations and do all work with excellence as though it were for the Lord – even when it’s hard.
- Implement balance into your life. Work-life balance may not be a cookie-cut achievement, but it is possible. Take time to ask your family members how you can be a better spouse, parent, or even friend. You can start by scheduling out family events months in advance or booking your anniversary or Valentine’s Day reservations now so your calendar is already blocked off. And don’t forget to set aside time for yourself such as daily quiet time with the Lord, exercise or taking up a hobby that has piqued your interest.
- Build intentional relationships. Building relationships with others is one of the strongest aspects of faith at work. Take time to have truly meaningful conversations with someone from work. Get to know their story and don’t forget to really listen to what they’re saying. A simple act of listening could be the best way you can show them Jesus in the workplace.
Of course, these are not the only ways to implement faith and work into your new year. So feel free to let us know ways in which you’re already doing so. We’d love to hear from you!