How long has it been since you started a new job? Before you make a job change, and especially if you are changing companies, you may want to consider a few simple truths. I was reminded of these truths this week as a CEO and I shared life stories with our WorkMatters Institute young professionals mentees on the subject of BALANCE (one of our Seven Pillars of Faith at Work).
I have changed companies five times in my career. Three of those career changes were into completely different industries. I have learned some powerful lessons through that process. Here are five simple ideas to consider honoring God with your new job:
- Commit to a six to twelve month increase in work focus – Before you say yes to your new calling, make sure you deal with this reality. Your work life WILL need more focus and time. This is especially critical if you are married and/or have children.
- Finish strong where you are – In both execution and relationships.
- Enjoy powerful growth with God – Because He makes things “brand new” (Isaiah 48:7) in a new job, fear and anxiety can be very real. It’s a perfect season to sit daily in His lap.
- Be hyper focused – Focus with intensity to build new relationships, learn the business, and find small opportunities to add value to the business.
- Enjoy the new adventure – It can be stressful, but it can also be an exciting adventure of personal, spiritual and relational growth!
Closing the gap together,