How many of you can honestly say you spend daily quiet time with the Lord?
Don’t worry – I won’t ask for a show of hands. 🙂
Like you, I keep a pretty busy schedule. So busy in fact, that I often find myself forgetting to have that much-needed time with the Lord – especially during the work week.
As a dutiful preacher’s kid, I always thought of quiet time as spending time with God in a dark, quiet room early in the morning. And although that’s a great way to spend time with the Lord, I found myself only doing it once or twice a week, half asleep and feeling no actual connection with the Lord.
I’m sure some of you can relate. So let’s take some time to ban the guilt, be rid of idealized concepts of quiet time and think of some creative yet intentional ways to spend time with God.
- Listen to audio devotional books and podcasts during your commute to work. Jesus Calling and our WorkMatters podcast messages are two of my favorites for this kind of quiet time.
- Pray aloud and meditate scripture during a workout. I find this works really well while on a treadmill or yoga mat.
- Have a worship session in your car. Sometimes singing out loud in your car where no one can hear you but the Lord is the perfect way to start the day.
- Pray for 15 minutes in the shower. Hey, no kids, no distractions – don’t knock it til you try it!
- Post Scripture verses in the car and at your desk. Simply post, pray and meditate!