Your Work Matters To God
Speaker: David Roth, President & CEO, Workmatters
If we’re going to spend 50% of our lives at work, shouldn’t that half of our life really matter? Most people have misplaced purpose in their work – seeing it as a means to an end or as a source of their identity. Work is not god, but work matters to God. In this module, David Roth, President & CEO of Workmatters, will talk about God’s original design for work, why we experience difficulty at work and how we can find meaning in our work and pursue God’s purpose for our work. You’ll discover how your work matters to God.
We spend 50 percent of our time at work – that time absolutely matters to God. Your work matters to God. The Bible helps us see that right from the start in Genesis.
- God is a worker: “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work” (Genesis 2:2, NIV).
- Work is good: “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good”(Genesis 1:31, NIV).
- You are made in God’s image: “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness …” (Genesis 1:26, NIV).
- Work was our original assignment: “God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” (Genesis 1:28, NIV).
God blessed us and told us to create, to work. Work is an essential part of our design and how God planned to accomplish His purposes in the world He created. Creation wasn’t designed to be static, but intended to go somewhere. God uses our work to fulfill His purposes there.
Work is hard as a result of the Fall. Genesis 3:17-19 tells us that “… through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food …” But work never stopped being good! Thank God, sin is not the final chapter on our work.
The Gospel is the good news of Jesus restoring all things to their God-honoring purpose. The Bible calls that “the kingdom of God.” Work has been redeemed through Jesus Christ. As followers of Jesus we have the privilege of and responsibility to participate with God in His work through the work we are doing, no matter what it is. Our job, then, is to do our best to honor God with our work, intentionally love, serve and influence people through our work, and to view our work as the biggest mission field we will ever be in.
What would your work look like today if God was your boss? Ask God to give you a new vision for your work.
- How has your perspective on your work changed based on these insights from the Bible?
- In what ways can partner with God in your work to serve God’s purposes for the world?
- Since Jesus has redeemed us and our work, what areas of brokenness exist around you at work that God has positioned you to address or influence?
What is one thing you can do on a daily basis to have a more positive, Christ-centered perspective on your work and remind yourself that what you do matters to God?
- Please complete the short survey and play a role in helping us make this content the best it can be.
- Download the course worksheet by clicking on the link below. You will use this single sheet for all 5 modules to serve as a reminder of what you learn and the specific action steps you will take at work to apply the lessons.
If you would like to share insights and discuss challenges with others who are on a faith-at-work journey, we invite you to join the Workmatters Community on Facebook.