Have you ever felt like you were under attack at work?
You may never have experienced a physical threat, but the workplace can feel like a minefield of challenges designed to threaten our self-worth, our reputation, our relationships and our livelihood. A disagreement with your boss, tension with a coworker or an unhappy customer can at minimum upset your day, or even cause you to fear losing your job.
If we rely completely on our own strength and abilities fight every battle that arises, we will eventually become worn out and hopeless. But I have good news for you. No matter what type of battle you may be going through, it doesn’t have to be that way – ever.
As believers in Jesus Christ, we have:
- An Advocate who can help us overcome every trial and tragedy. (John 16:33)
- A Creator who can deliver strength, insight, wisdom and even supernatural abilities when we seek Him and ask for it. (James 1:5)
- A Provider who knows everything we need, which may be different from what we want. (Matthew 6:8)
- A Father who believes in us and even custom-designed a perfect plan and purpose for each one of us. (Jeremiah 29:11)
These aren’t just encouraging words. This is reality for those of us who invest in our relationship with Jesus Christ and seek Him in our work and every area of our lives.
God didn’t design us to work on our own. He designed us to work in partnership with Him, to rely on Him for strength and to turn to Him for direction. We have to do our part – take a step of faith and do our work with excellence – and let God do His part – work in the hearts of others, make wrong things right, and make miracles happen.
If you feel like you’re under attack at work, or if you just feel overwhelmed by the demands and crazy deadlines coming at you, reflect on these scriptures:
- “… Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- “It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.” – Psalm 18:32
- “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” – 1 Corinthians 15:57
- “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” – Matthew 19:26
- “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:13
- “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
God is the One who gives us the ultimate victory when we’re faced with difficult, even devastating circumstances – our part is to turn to Him and seek His will with faith.