Stay Connected To God At Work
Speaker: Donnie Smith, Former CEO, Tyson Foods
Pursuing God’s purpose for work first of all means staying connected to God at work. In this module, Donnie Smith, Former CEO, Tyson Foods, will share how to stay connected to God at work, wherever you work. He’ll discuss ways to talk to God about your work, acknowledge God in your work and develop rhythms for abiding with God continually at work.
Session 1 made clear that your work matters to God. In Session 2 we talk about how God matters to your work. God has purpose for every institution and industry, and that includes your work. But we can only discover and pursue God’s purpose and really love Him as He commands if we are connected to Him at work.
That means that staying connected to God needs to be our top priority at work. Jesus makes this clear in Matthew 6 when he said, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33, ESV).
Part of staying connected is depending on God to do our work. Jesus told us, “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5, ESV). God gives us wisdom, ideas, strength, resources and everything we need to accomplish our work with excellence and in line with His purposes.
Abiding with God at work throughout our work day will help us do our best work. We can abide with God by:
- Talking to God about your work. Create a prayer list related to your work goals, concerns, people and projects. Pray over those work-related concerns and write down answered prayers.
- Trusting God in your work. We are not immune from difficulties and challenges
Practical tips for abiding throughout the day:
- Start the day in quiet time with God. Give God your day.
- Pray during your commute to work.
- Place reminders of God around you at your work station: a devotional, Bible, printed verses that are relevant to you, devotional email subscriptions, etc.
- Pray short breath prayers before meetings and during transitions in your day.
- Ask God for wisdom and guidance to solve problems, in every decision, when preparing for tough conversations, and when setting priorities.
- Pray on the way home.
- Before bed, reflect on the day and thank God for the ways He showed up for you at work. Acknowledge where you were not connected to Him and experience His grace and forgiveness.
God wants you to turn to Him in everything at work and in life.
What would your work look like if you made it your top priority to connect with God each day and stay connected to Him throughout the day?
- What are your overarching priorities at work? What do you need to change to make God number one?
- What has your experience been at work when you are connected to God versus those times when you don’t connect?
- Consider all of the ways that Donnie shared for staying connected to God. Which ones resonate the most with you and why?
What will you start doing immediately to help you stay connected to God at work?
- Please complete the short SURVEY. You’ll play a role in helping us make this content the best it can be.
- Make a note on the worksheet (download and print below, if you haven’t yet) of how you will apply what you learned in this module to your work.